Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Paddleboarding


With the new craze and popularity of paddle boarding, I thought it best that I give it a try before our annual trip to Hawaii. We live in the foothills of Northern California about an hour from Lake Tahoe and also many other lakes that are near by. Our church organized a day for women (33 in all) to paddle board at Donner Lake (one of the colder lakes around). I signed up and for the next few weeks was getting excited and yet in the back of my mind knowing I didn't want to fall into that lake! I had done some surfing in the past so I figured I had pretty good balance and this would be like walking on water (pun). We had a brief lesson-how long does it take to tell you how to hold the paddle, be limber and relaxed and to go into NOT sideways into a wave or wake when a boat appears.
I got on the board-wobbled a little and off I went-hey, this is easy. I just went along at my own speed, enjoying the clear water and the trees surrounding the lake. Next, I got on my knees and paddled around for awhile this way-very fun as well. The second time out!!-lake is getting a little choppy and the wind picked up some. I went out towards the middle of the lake with confidence and ah oh, here comes a boat-WAIT, I'm not facing the wake-needless to say, over I went, hat sailing off into the distance and sunglasses were donated to the bottom of the lake. The water was refreshing on this 92 degree day. I got my composure back, looked around to make sure no one was looking and off I went again. It ended up being a great day, lots of fun and will definitely do it again-in the ocean in Hawaii; hmmm will have to think about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment