Saturday, March 10, 2012

Security/Customs/Layovers




Airport layovers have always been the most dreaded part of airline travel and just returning from a West Indies cruise, I wanted to share some information with you. For all you "season" travelers, this information is "old news" to you.

Our destination from Northern California was to St. Maarten to catch the Windstar Cruise Ship. Believe me, there is no quick and east way for us West Coasters to get there. Let me insert this-when I book your vacation to an international destination and there is a 3 or more hour layover, please thank me-don't curse me as you will see below.

Our outbound flight went well, but the return: leaving St. Maarten we were to fly to Atlanta, but the plane didn't have enough gas and there wasn't any on the island so we had to fly to Puerto Rico to fuel up which meant we were to get into Atlanta later (thank you 3 hour layover). By the time we went through customs, got our luggage and to our gate, we had 1/2 hour before we had to board the plane-Whew!. You may still have the 3 hour layover and end up in a great airport lounge-enjoy as airports can be entertaining.

Keep your ID's/passports out until you board the plane as I don't know how many times we had to show them EVEN after we went through security. Security-you just never know how fast you will get through the process: all I can say is be patient; be kinds; smile-nothing else works and you are on vacation

No comments:

Post a Comment